Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Tho Some Ds on Em

I use to regard Atlanta as the rims, dubs, chrome capital of the world. I went a few years ago for a concert and was mesmerized. I became a little like Rain Man because huge Escalades with tinted windows (probably to protect the occupants eyes from the shine of the rims) passed and all I could think of was "Ooh, shiny!" I knew it was a real problem when we were sitting in traffic on Peachtree Street, or the worlds largest parking lot, and a '85 Toyota Camry rolls up with chrome spinners and all I could think about was "Ooh shiny!" I knew I'd seen everything. It was cool to see people truly have more money than sense. The persuasion of people with rims ran the gambit too. Never in my life have I seen so many Lil John wannabes and suburban soccer moms with rims on their vehicles. I won't lie, I wanted to move!

My lust for Atlanta soon faded and shifted to L.A. (only because I moved there). If you were to take a poll, I am sure L.A. has more cars with rims, but per ca pita, Atlanta wins hands down. The biggest difference in Atlanta rims and L.A. rims is the diversity in cars with rims. People in Atlanta will put rims on ANYTHING! People in L.A. tend to put rims on luxury vehicles. L.A. also tends to vary in color. I've seen chrome, black, white, blue and red rims. That is truly where my love affair with dubs began. My nights were filled with fantasies of getting rims and putting them on a mini van when I become a mom, no, wait, that never happened, but I did have dreams about putting rims on a big Tahoe with a bumpin' system! I could pick out every car with rims and tell the difference, meanwhile having Josh in my ear telling me they all suck (it is the artist in him).

Anyway, we moved to Wichita, you know, land of OZ, and I have been floored ever since we got here. I shake my head everyday as I'm on my way to work. Here we are, middle America, land of conservative Anglo Saxons...and they all have rims on their cars! My broker is well into her sixties and she has rims and a chrome grill on her bright red Tahoe! All the soccer moms have rims. I don't get it. I thought rims were supposed to represent how thug you are. I thought rims were for black people and Mexicans. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd see Barbie gathering little Sarah and Tommy into the car with chrome shining like the sun on cloudless summer day in Florida. I am feeling more left out here than I was in Atlanta or L.A.

So, I guess the more successful I become, I will have to put aside a "Tho Some Ds on Em" fund so I can be part of the club too (that fund will also be attached to the "Diamond Grillz for Christina fund).

2 comments:

LJ said...

If they ain't dubs, they ain't right. But it don't mean nothin' if they ain't bumpin' them 18's down off up in tha trunk. Ya feel me?

JSG said...

OMG. The writing style runs in the family. Can I get rims on my Schwinn? Gas prices are on the rise again.