Monday, March 9, 2009

Building Building Building

The snow melted and the birds are chirping! All the signs of spring are upon us in the Midwest. The days are getting longer and the energy of the sunshine washes over me like the first little bit of water out of a garden hose that has been basking in bright rays all day. What a wonderful time to build house!

Josh and I are in the very beginning stages of building a house. This was the only way we could come to some middle ground in the purchase of our first home. See, I could honestly care less where we live; I would just like a garage, enough room for family and friends to visit, and a neighborhood where we won't get shot...oh, wait, we are in Wichita, it is pretty hard to get shot here (knocking on wood now). He on the other hand, would like something a little more modern, meaning in this century with a three car garage, etc. So we have compromised I did some research and the things we've come to love are not outrageous.

Now we begin! We wrote a check yesterday reserving the lot we've picked. All of this talk has become real. I feel like I just got punched in the stomach and like I just won a million dollars. The staff in my office always says "it is different when it is you." I thought they were shooting smoke up my ass, but I guess not. Now I know how my clients are feeling when I have them sign contracts and addendums and amendments. It is my job, with them, to stay calm and be their rock through the emotional process of home purchasing. When they say or do things that are completely irrational, I need to reassure them that things will be fine; they made the right decision.

Now, here we are. All of my expertise has been thrown out the window like yesterday's bathwater. I feel like I am in the ocean on a pool raft with my legs hanging above the shark infested water; it is the only thing keeping me afloat.

The roller coaster ride is just beginning, hopefully I don't puke before it is over.

1 comment:

MJ said...

I'm really excited for you! That would be new territory for us, too. Keep writing about it so we can live vicariously through you. :)