Friday, March 21, 2008

Wichita

Let me begin by saying I love Wichita! I never thought I could live in a place without the ocean near, but here we are and I love it. If anyone asked me a year ago what I thought of Kansas, I would have responded, "It is in the middle of nowhere and there aren't beaches. Why would anyone want to live there?" I am eating those words. They actually taste really good! It is like being a steak lover and having lamb for the first time; things are really different, but they are savory and interesting creating a longing for more. When you have finished the last bite, it is sad because you could eat another rack, but it is also an accomplishment because you have tried something new and completely stepped out of your comfort zone. It is nice. 

I don't know about you, but I like fresh air. I kind of became accustomed to it living in Florida; and then things changed. It is amazing what you appreciate when it has been taken away. I realized I like breathing. I know, I know, who would like something like that when you have a Coach Store every five-hundred feet and every third car you see is a Mercedes. What was I thinking? I could give up fresh air for that, right? LA has everything, except clean beaches and fresh air. I thought those were two things I could live without. I have come to realize that the one I can't live without is fresh air. Thank you HBC for giving JH the job! Thank you Wichita for not being pretentious and dirty. I am able to breath easy. 

I have also learned we are in the middle of the country. It takes about two hours on a plane to get anywhere. When I need my fix for sticky salt air, I am not far. When I want to feel the sand sift through my toes, I will fly home. Hypodermic needles were not the biggest incentive to walk on the beaches in LA. When Vegas is calling my name like a mother calling a child in for dinner, I am not far. I have come to love Wichita and I haven't even seen it all yet. Everyday is a new beginning to embrace. Come visit, you will see. 

4 comments:

dj said...

Cool blog, Dude! I only ever posted to my blog once because I couldn't remember how to get to it. I put the link on my toolbar, so the only excuse remaining is my reluctance to share my thoughts. Maybe I can overcome that reluctance.

Good pictures, too.

MJ said...

What a great inaugural post! You're such a natural writer.

We already shared the pictures with LMJ. I'm so excited to keep up with your life through this medium. Thanks for sharing. We'll be back!

LJ said...

Your writing is great. Do you mind if we share this with other people?

JSG said...

Found your blog from a Running Pain comment - hope it's OK.
Your writing is so vivid! Vegas calling you like a mother calling a child - I know that call. It's just that Vegas is a mother in fish-net stockings and falsies!